Monday, February 22, 2010

Go For Pro


Ahoy there. What a weekend we had on the PA/DE borderline!
If you didn't guess (and I suspect you didn't, unless you already knew) Phil and I went to see some college friends this weekend and have an oldschool nintendo tournament with them in the former-garden-center / current-recording-studio of our pals The Spinto Band. Now, I'm not much of a gamer. I pretty much know how to play one game, and it's Dr. Mario. And since I'm more excited to see friends than anything, and spent half the tournament in Philly with my girlfriends, I didn't actually participate in the competition, but I played a couple games, despite a slight disinterest.......
but wait...
enter ROCK BAND. and not just Rock Band, but EXCLUSIVELY BEATLES ROCK BAND! How much fun was THAT!? SO MUCH.
I wasn't very coordinated with the instruments, but I got to sing a few songs, and did best at that. This is the closest I've come to Karaoke, except with the added benefit of the actual Beatles singing loudly over you, so most people in the room can't even hear you sing (because they are screaming and cheering for someone playing Track & Field on a 90's "game pad" somewhere else in the room).
The irony of how much fun I had lies, of course, in the fact that my living room wall is full of instruments that I could play and sing with any time I wanted. But where else can I balance my lack of musical skills with a glass of wine & some pizza and not get myself in social trouble while belting out songs in public? (okay, maybe Ocean City, but ew.) Here's to the wonderful friends we have that are willing to pull things like this together.

Above is the NES controller Phil & Co built and dyed with mud & cherry slushie in the spirit of the event.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-bH7BfHR1Y

Red Prairie Press said...

a CLEAR example of the pro that was gone for.