Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Happy Earth Day



Maybe it's today being earth day. Maybe it's that finally the sun is shining, the snow is gone in Maryland (stay out!) and it's warm enough for the tulips to open up in the back yard. Maybe it's that yesterday was the Boston Marathon, and the feeling of determination was in the air.
Whatever the reason, I've had this really strong urge to use my body to it's fullest extent recently. Been running a lot, and walking to work to get fresh air and feel that delicious exhaustion that comes with getting exercise. Last week, I turned 32 in good health with no major complaints, still able to live my life the way I love. I decided to celebrate that good fortune with a trip to Shenandoah National Park with my #1 favorite life companion, to hike and explore a place I've heard about and never been. We went to Luray Caverns to see the stalactites, hiked & rock scrambled all over the trails off Skyline drive and the Appalachian Trail, cooked ourselves some delicious meals to eat watching sunsets from a cabin porch outside Luray, and even found some strawberry ice cream to call it a birthday. Although I consider myself relatively in shape, I couldn't believe how much pain I was in after dragging myself up some of those final rocky ledges. You forget that you only build strength in the muscles you use.
A magnificent way to spend a birthday, and a great way to really appreciate both good health and a beautiful earth. As I get frustrated back at work trying to manage new products, and make them as eco-friendly as I can, it sure is helpful to have fresh memories of being in beautiful places to remind me what's important, and extremely sore muscles to remind me that no new brilliant view comes without hard work and a little growing pain.

Happy Earth Day from us to you.

No comments: