Monday, August 16, 2010

America In Color




I remember a college interview I had in which I was asked to say my favorite book. I'd just read a collection of poetry from the 1930's and it was the first time I'd become obsessed with an era. I was so intrigued by the book, and so nervous at the interview, that I not only mentioned it as a favorite, but went on to explain the dustbowl to the college admissions councilor. Since it was the first I'd ever heard of it, I naturally assumed he had never heard of it either. (It's like those moments where, somehow you make it to adulthood without realizing your childhood presumption that there's a little man in the traffic light directing traffic, or everyone that works at JoAnn Fabrics is named JoAnn...might be naive.)
So... needless to say, I went to a different college. I also discovered Americana & folk music and started painting vintage inspired housewives... And when my friend Angie sent me a link to this new collection of COLOR PHOTOGRAPHY from depression era (recently found - in slide form- and preserved & printed in a book), I nearly exploded. While I won't explain the dustbowl to YOU (you can look it up on wikipedia, after all), I will say that you MUST check this collection out.
Seeing things in color makes them more alive, the beautiful patterns, the hand painted shop signs, the fruit & dirt & wood. It almost seems like it must be scenes from a modern movie depicting that era, instead of real life. But there are the military planes, the women working in men's jobs for the first time. There are the dugouts & shantys and stoic children. People making everything themselves from food to clothing to architecture and having a sense of personal survival skills far more advanced than what I fear we'd have today. An inspiration far broader than a college education, you might say.

Check out the collection HERE.
The book is titled "Bound for Glory; America in Color 1939-43"

2 comments:

Rachel Lee said...

Hi Rachel -- If you haven't seen it yet, check out the Library of Congress on Flickr. Here's a link to their 1930s and 1940s set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/sets/72157603671370361/

Some of the image are AMAZING. Most of them, in fact. =)

(In fact I think some of these images are in the Flickr set.)

kate said...

Earning money online never been this easy and transparent. You would find great tips on how to make that dream amount every month. So go ahead and click here for more details and open floodgates to your online income. All the best.