Monday, May 3, 2010

DaveCakes


What a weekend was had here in Baltimore these last few days!
It's swampy hot and the ice cube trays are being put back into constant rotation.
Even though I came near passing out from heat overdose on my run around Druid Hill Park yesterday, we spent almost the entire weekend outside (Don't worry. I managed to stay pasty & non-sunburnt).
In a weekend packed with yard sales, farmer's market, outdoor parties, bare feet, gardening & sitting on the back porch sweltering,
I figured it was a good a time as any to start baking.
Angie & I decorated these cupcakes for our pal Dave's birthday on Saturday, and I thought you might like to see them in all their glory. Look close, and you'll find some of your favorite BBQ staples featured. I made chocolate ganache with chocolate, half & half, and apricot preserves and dunked the cakes into a vat of it instead of spreading (which worked great). We used marzipan & dyed it with food coloring for the decorations. Pretty fancy for someone who had to go across the street & borrow a cupcake tin from her neighbor, huh?
My personal opinion is they looked far more awesome than they tasted... but that's what cupcakes are for anyways, right? Like macaroons? or those radish flowers at chinese restaurants.
Wait, am I saying I don't like cupcakes?
Lies.

No comments: