Monday, March 15, 2010

Vegetarian Sickie Soup


Chicken Noodle Soup is, as I remember, the ultimate sick food... but I haven't really missed it as a vegetarian until this year, as I'm rarely sick enough to warrant special food. However, this weekend (the majority of which was spent coughing and snuffling under a blanket watching episodes of Northern Exposure) called for a replacement, and somehow in my delirium, I made one up. Here's what I remember putting in:
VEGETARIAN NON-CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
-2 Tbs Olive Oil
-1 medium onion (chopped)
-3 stalks celery (chopped)
-2 carrots (diced)
-tarragon
-thyme
-salt & pepper to taste
-4-6 Cups of Vegetable stock
-1/2 Cup of Orzo pasta
-3 Quorn brand "naked cutlets" (I don't usually support fake meat, but this stuff is tasty).
-2 Tbs Marjoram
I just sauted the three veggies in the oil, tarragon & thyme for 5 minutes until they were soft, then added a little salt and sauted another 3. Poured in the stock and added the pasta. While that was coming to a boil, I sliced & chopped the Quorn cutlets and quickly warmed them in a skillet with oil, salt & pepper and some fresh marjoram maybe 4 minutes. Waited maybe 10 minutes and added the Quorn to the rest of the soup and simmered it for 30 minutes or so.
Totally hit the spot.

No comments: