Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Dear Baltimore,


Usually I love you. Today I don't love you.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bal-flamingo1020,0,6644743.story
SPECIAL PERMIT TAX?
are you kidding?
Cafe Hon is most of the reason why Hampden exists how it does today. I don't often go there, but I can appreciate what she's done for the city. Denise Whiting started the restaurant like 10 years ago with zero dollars, and an unsafe neighborhood surrounding her. This flamingo sculpture was SO iconic to the neighborhood and instrumental in making it what it was. NY Times used a photo of it to represent ALL of Baltimore in a cover story of the city they did just weeks ago! Think how much sales tax revenue comes from this neighborhood because of this icon starting it all. Think how many shops have opened up in just the last 5 years on the street! Are any of them angry? You're really going to charge the woman who made so much of that happen $800 a year? Are you CRAZY? Are you NUTS?
I just typed a whole lot of cusswords and erased them.
I don't really get angry about much. I forgive you an awful lot, Baltimore, but MAN am I angry about this.

1 comment:

Phil Davis said...

that's really stupid. "projects into the public right of way"! gimme a break. why don't you work on the damn murder rate first baltimore before taking down flamingos and other things that bring some joy to this city. so stupid.