Monday, January 5, 2009

Read More


One of my New Year's Resolutions (that's right. "Resolution" is plural this year) is to read more. Not just grownup books either. Lots and lots of children's books. I've been thinking about storytelling, and the things that originally (and continuously) inspire me, and really, it all comes back to children's books and old folktales. I've been particularly obsessing over Scandinavia and pretending that Phil and I will take a trip there someday soon, but until then, I'm happy with my nose in books.

Sort of fitting- last night, my good pal Sage and I cuddled up under a blanket and watched Harold & the Purple Crayon (the animated, now-on-DVD version) last night at Heather's house. It really is one of the most simple & beautiful things I've ever seen. My kind of animation for sure, and my kind of book too. Off to bust out my organization skills and get my taxes done (AGHHHH) so I can begin my year of reading.

Other resolutions include: cook more with friends, drink more water & less coffee, take more walks outside, refrain from reading trashy celebrity gossip blogs, sit at a computer less in general, travel, paint and draw more, work on an animation with phil, and finally, write more letters by hand.

4 comments:

P H I L said...

probably one of my favorite books of all time! i've always loved the idea of being able to draw yourself into or out of any situation. we could all use that purple crayon.

Heather said...

I second what Phil said.

Thank you for sharing your yumtastic dinner with me, your time with my kids, and your excellent company with me.

;)
H

Jennifer Bone said...

Do you remember "How the World Got Its Color"...

M

Red Prairie Press said...

Mom- YES I remember!!
i have looked EVERYWHERE for that book. I think it's out of print.