Thursday, July 5, 2012

Staying Young.

So, tonight my high school boyfriend is taking me out to fancy drinks at Woodberry Kitchen, where we wouldn't have been legally served alcohol or allowed to smoke on our first date. (I also wouldn't have been dressed appropriately to eat there, and I would have scoffed at the heirloom tomatoes and pickled everything they bring you to snack on. I wasn't ready for the tastes back then). We couldn't even vote yet. I can't believe how much has changed in 13 years. I'm a different person than I was in high school, we both are. And I'd have to wonder if it will be awkward to talk to each other... but today is our fourth wedding anniversary, and the one constant seems to be that while we may not always know what we want at 30... and we may question every decision we've ever made all the time... we never seem to question that we chose each other correctly at 17.

Can you imagine letting a 17 year old make such an enormous decision for you? I'll give you a moment to think about that fully. Maybe we should all go back and consult our journals... see what else we could be doing right.

1 comment:

Phil Davis said...

Awww, I can't wait to take my girlfriend out to fancy dinner. If I had followed other decisions at 17 I'd probably be a biologist and we'd both have patches on our pants and be eating way more granola than we already are.