Monday, May 9, 2011

Jump in The Line...


We had such a great time at the Maryland Film Festival this weekend. I can't begin to imagine how much work it took, and how many hours of movies were watched in order to curate such an outstanding weekend of film. So glad we have such a fantastic resource here in Baltimore, and if you didn't make it out this year, you should definitely try for next year.
I think my favorite film this year was a feature called Shunka made by CJ Gardella (who we also met in person and quickly befriended)
Shunka - a really beautiful exploration of life through animal and human experience. Definitely the most magical cinematography in the festival for me (followed closely by Meeks Cutoff, which I disliked as a movie but adored as imagery), and being from a family of scientists & naturists, we loved all the planet-earth style filming of insects and animals. A truly honest and seemingly unbiased look at humanity and spirituality. I'm going to have to highly recommend you find a way to watch this one, and if you also manage to meet CJ in person, I recommend that too.

Another highlight of the weekend was watching a documentary on one of my favorite musicians of all time, Mr. Harry Belafonte, Being treated to his presence at the festival and at the screening was quite powerful, as was the film on his life. I had no idea the extent of social activism this man has done, and how involved in so many different projects all over the world. If you get a chance to see "Sing Your Song" I also recommend doing that... especially if you can do it in a theater, as it's impossible for an audience to not sing along to all the songs together.

No comments: